Swedish cinnamon buns, or kanelbullar, are delicious pastries with a sweet cinnamon filling. Here is a simple recipe for making kanelbullar at home:
Swedish cinnamon buns
- 420 g all-purpose flour
- 25 g active dry yeast
- 210 ml Warm Milk (around 110°F or 43°C)
- 80 g granulated sugar
- 80 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
For the Filling:
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened room temperature
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1. Activate the Yeast:In a small bowl, mix the warm milk and yeast. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- 2. Prepare the Dough:Combine the yeast mixture, sugar, melted butter, salt, and cardamom in a sizable mixing basin.Till the dough is smooth and no longer sticky, gradually add the flour and knead the mixture. You can knead the dough by hand on a floured surface or with a stand mixer attachment with a dough hook.The dough should rest in a warm location for about 30 minutes, or until it has doubled in size, covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- 3. Prepare the Filling: In small bowl,Stir the shortening smoothly with cinnamon and sugar until it forms a smooth paste.
- 4. Roll and Shape:Place the dough on the work surface and give it a smooth kneading with the remaining flour. For 25 pieces, roll out the dough to around 30 x 40 cm. Spread the filling out, then roll up beginning at the long side. Pieces of the roll should be around 2 cm broad. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or in paper bun forms, arrange the pieces with the cut surface facing up.
- 5. Shape and Bake:Let the buns rise under a baking sheet for approx. 30 min.Brush the buns with the beaten egg and top with granulated sugar. Bake the buns for 8 minutes at 250°C in the center of the oven or until the kanelbullar are golden brown.. Let to cool on a wire rack under a baking sheet before transferring to a lidded bag or jar.
- 6. Enjoy:Enjoy your homemade Swedish cinnamon buns with a cup of coffee or tea.